On Sunday, the latest 15 modern-era players and contributors were named finalists for the 2011 NFL Hall of Fame class, joining a pair of senior nominees on the ballot. The Hall’s selection committee will vote on this year’s class on Feb. 5, 2011 in Dallas, a day prior to the Super Bowl.
For a nominee to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, he must earn 80 percent of the committee’s vote.
Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf and Deion Sanders — all in their first year of Hall of Fame eligibility — were among the finalists. The complete list of 2011 Hall finalists include:
• Jerome Bettis, RB (1995-93 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers)
• Tim Brown, WR/KR (1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
• Cris Carter, WR (1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins)
• Dermontti Dawson, C (1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers)
• Richard Dent, DE (1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles)
• Chris Doleman, DE/LB (1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers)
• Marshall Faulk, RB (1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams)
• Charles Haley, DE/LB (1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys)
• Cortez Kennedy, DT (1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks)
• Curtis Martin, RB (1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets)
• Andre Reed, WR (1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins)
• Willie Roaf, OT (1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs)
• Ed Sabol, Contributor (1964-1995 NFL Films)
• Deion Sanders, CB/KR/PR (1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens)
• Shannon Sharpe, TE (1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens)
The two senior nominees are: Chris Hanburger, LB (1965-78 Washington Redskins); and Les Richter, LB (1954-62) Los Angeles Rams.
Names like Don Coryell, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis and Ray Guy did not make the cut from the semifinal round to the list of finalists.