Let’s face it, nobody wants to be fat–but we all want to be P.H.A.T. (Pretty, Hot And Tempting), so if you’re like me, you’ll be hanging out with family and friends between now and the new year celebrating in the holiday bliss, and there’s no doubt food and drinks will be involved. Parties, gatherings and just hanging around the house can make you eat and drink more than usual.
However, you don’t HAVE to gain weight. While losing weight over the holidays may seem unrealistic, there are some things you can do to maintain where you are and get a jump-start to good health for the New Year. Here are the top 10 things you can do to avoid getting fat and stay P.H.A.T. (Pretty. Hot And Tempting)
1. Take some advice from Charles Barkley! Yep–Sir Charles has lost some weight (and looking pretty good might I add) by joining Weight Watchers. You don’t have to wait to start in 2013. In fact, joining now before the New Year can give you some extra motivation. While everyone else is dreading the start–you’ll already be two steps ahead on the road to fabulous!
2. Eat before the party- If you know the party you’ll be attending will have food, eating before you arrive will prevent you from overeating and can help you turn down the extra sugar and fat you don’t need.
3. Watch out for alcohol –Yep, alcohol is FULL of sugar! If you plan on drinking later in the day, stick to water early in the day and limit your sugar intake.
4. Keep healthy snacks with you— A bag of almonds, peanuts or cashews; an apple or celery stick with peanut butter can be great snacks to keep in your car or in your purse to help you when hunger strikes. It’s always better than a quick stop in the drive-thru.
5. Choose wisely – If you HAVE to get fast food make good choices. Avoid soda. Stay away from french fries. Hold the mayo and NO desserts!
6. Get to the gym – You ARE on vacation, so why not take a stroll or get a workout in? Even if you don’t want to do it everyday, pick 3-4 days out of the week to get a solid hour workout in. It will do your body some good!
7. Try to avoid the breads -Rolls, dressing, stuffing, biscuits, cakes, pies -oh my!! We’re on bread overload this time of year. If you have a weakness for rolls but also want dessert, try and make a trade. Avoid the rolls at dinner so you can have the slice of cake afterwards. Try it!
8. Water. Water. Water. — It’s good to keep your “systems” going and keep you hydrated. Water before a meal can also make you feel a bit more full to prevent you from eating more than normal.
9. Get moving- So if #6 is just not going to happen for you, well get moving when you’re out. If you plan on going to the mall, park in the back of the lot. Wear good walking shoes. Try the steps instead of the elevators and/or escalator and take the long way to walk to your destinations. Every little bit helps.
10. Tell A Friend – Having some one who will keep you accountable to your goal and encourage you along the way is essential to your success. They’ll help you make good choices and check in to see how things are going.
Weight loss is never easy. In fact it’s one of the most challenging things you’ll ever do. Breaking eating habits and patterns you have developed since you first learned to eat is daunting, at best. However, with a little effort and determination anything is possible.
Get started NOW to greet the more beautiful you in 2013!