The Great Escape
I was looking through a magazine and came across a feature on the ridiculously enchanting Cocoa Island in the Maldives. The article included awe inspiring pictures of villas, mansions and exquisite lodges for those who can get to this paradise. I flipped through page after page dreaming of the day I can enjoy this piece of heaven. The more I looked at the pictures, the more I realized how starved I am for a vacation. As a busy Jersey Girl who is always connected to sports, I am in desperate need for some ‘me’ time–some time to do nothing but enjoy a good sunrise overlooking a sea of blue liquid.
We all have those moments when the stresses of the day become overwhelming and the responsibilities we have consume us so much that we want to scream out, “Calgon, take me away!”. Unfortunately, for many of us, this is not possible. Our great escape will be what we make it, however we can find it. The good news is that in those stress filled moments, there are things we can do to take the pressure off and have a moment of peace. I solicited advice from a group of my sorority sisters and they offered some great tips on how to get the great escape.
- Silence: Shutting down all outside noise is a great stress reliever. Power down your cell phone, turn off the radio and television and get to a quiet place. Breathe deeply and allow yourself a chance to be in a still place of uninterrupted quiet. You can even do this in your car. The quiet stillness will calm you and ease tension.
- Reading: The ability to escape into another world makes reading a great way to escape the day-to-day grind. Temporarily we can forget our worries and concerns and become spectators in the land of the make-believe
- Music: We all know the power of music. It can motivate, inspire and move us to action. It can also calm us. Jazz, New Age, and, my favorite, Classical music can all help us relax and find much needed peace in stressful situations.
- Bath: Light some candles, put on some soft music, turn down the lights and soak your cares away in a hot bubble bath. It’s the perfect way to end the day.
- Spa Day: You may not be able to get to the Maldives, but a spa may be the next best thing. There is something to the power of human touch, and being pampered is a little bit of heaven.
Whatever you use to escape, you should do it often. Take time out for yourself. Do something just for you without apology and without guilt. You deserve it!