Jersey Girl Sports fam, athletes are always looking for inspiration. The mental demands of professional sports require that many seek a source outside of themselves to stay motivated and focused on the win. The prolific words of the late Dr. Maya Angelou are full of life wisdom, purpose and hope. We’ve gathered the top ten words of wisdom from her that can inspire any professional athlete.
1. “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.”
2. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
3. “I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.”
4. “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
5. “If you don’t like something change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”
6. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
7. “Nothing will work unless you do.”
8. “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue what you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.”
9. “I believe the most important single thing, beyond discipline and creativity, is daring to dare.”
10. “You want me to do something, tell me I can’t do it.”
The death of world renown poet, author and speaker Dr. Maya Angelou has left a hole in the fabric of American society. She was more than poetic; she was prolific. She was more than insightful, she was inspiring. Her words of wisdom transcended all, leaving us pricked mentally and spiritually –ultimately better than we were before we read them.
Your Jersey Girlfriend,