When Adam Silver announced that he would ask the current NBA owners to vote to force the sale of the L.A. Clippers all kinds of names popped up as potential owners. Boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. came up as a person interested in purchasing a team, but I’m not sure anybody would consider him a serious contender. However, there are some very suitable candidates. Here are our Top 5 picks of potential NBA owners of the L.A. Clippers:
1. Magic Johnson: He’s an obvious choice. His current ownership into the L.A. Dodgers with the Guggenheim Group as well as his well-respected position within the NBA makes him an obvious perfect choice.
2. Oprah Winfrey: She’s a logically amazing choice. The media mogul would be a great owner, adding instant and increased media presence, marketing and branding for the Clippers brand. She would also be helpful in increasing exposure for players. Oprah owning the team would a sort of poetic justice.
3. Warren Buffett: You know this self-made billionaire because he’s the second richest man in the U.S. behind Bill Gates. At 83-years of age, owning an NBA may be just what he needs to diversify his business holdings.
4. Larry Ellison – He’s the 5th richest man in America behind his company Oracle. In the past he attempted to buy the Golden State Warriors and the New Orleans Hornets, so an opportunity to purchase the Clippers seems right up his alley.
5. David Geffen – He’s the entertainment mogul who is one of the three founders of Dreamworks. Geffen attempted to purchase the Clippers for $700 million in 2010, but that fell through. He would be a great choice and perhaps would add a bit more celebrity and entertainment to the team.
These top 5 candidates would be a great addition to the NBA owners circle. I would be happy with either choice…though I’m partial to Oprah Winfrey.
It would be nice to see Oprah have her OWN team.
What do you think? Who would you add to this list?
Your Jersey Girlfriend,