It’s that time of year again! The NASCAR Sprint Cup season is set to begin. Unlike the NFL or other pro sports, NASCAR starts their season off with their “Super Bowl” of racing, the Daytona 500. True to form, we’re assessing the drivers and taking stock (pun intended) of who’s set to fire up the tracks. Here’s our top five drivers to watch!
1. Austin Dillion – You can’t NOT watch this man. He has brought back the #3 car made famous by the late Dale Earnhardt and he took the pole (first place position) for the Daytona 500–which hasn’t happened since 1996. It’s almost prophetic that this has happened and we’ll have to watch and see how things ride out for Dillon the rest of this NASCAR season.
2. Jimmy Johnson – The 6-time Sprint Cup winner is going for his 7th title, which would match that of all-time winner Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt. Can Johnson do it? Well, maybe. Even with the rule changes this season he’s capable. Richard Petty said, “the creme of the crop will always rise in the end”. We’ll be watching and rooting for Johnson.
3. Danica Patrick – She’s been the talk of Richard Petty too. He isn’t impressed with her driving, saying that only reason she’s getting so much attention is because she’s a woman. In fact he said, “If she’s been ‘Patrick’ nobody would even know she was on the track”. Well, that may be true, but what’s also true is that she is there and we know it. She gets better every season and we’ll hoping to see her win a race this season. Girl power!
4. Tony Stewart – After breaking his leg in a race last season and undergoing surgery and dozens of stints in rehab, Stewart is back. He’s expecting to make a full return and looking forward to getting back on the track. We’re looking to see him too, and yeah–a win would make it even sweeter!
5. Dale Earnhardt. Jr. – He’s just long overdue for a Sprint Cup championship. With his father’s car now back on the tracks Dale Jr., as he’s affectionately known, probably feels inspired and pressured at the same time. I’d love to see him get the Cup this season.
I have to say that NASCAR wasn’t on my top choices of sports to watch, but I will say now after having covered quite a few NASCAR races, the sport is amazing! I’m looking forward to this 2014 NASCAR season.
Drivers, start your engines!!
Your Jersey Girlfriend,