Jersey Girl Sports family, we’re excited about the tentative end of the NBA lockout–and yes, I mean tentative!
First things first— the lockout is technically not over until the agreement is ratified by the owners and players, so we’ve made it easy for you and created an overview of what you need to know about this pending agreement and upcoming season:
- The players must drop their antitrust lawsuit in Minnesota and re-form the union before voting on the deal.
- The union has disbanded, so a new collective bargaining agreement can be completed only once the union has re-formed.
- Drug testing and other issues still must be negotiated between the league and the players.
There’s a lot of talk about what will happen with games and teams and schedules, and here’s what you can expect:
2011-12 NBA Schedule
Regular Season Start Date: December 25, 2011
There will be a triple-header on Christmas Day:
Boston Celtics at New York Knicks
Miami at Dallas
Chicago at Lakers
Regular Season End Date: April 26, 2012
Playoffs Start Date: April 28, 2012
Last Possible Finals Date: June 26, 2012
Individual Team Schedule Breakdown
Conference Games: 48
• Play 6 teams 4 times (2 home, 2 away)
• Play 4 teams 3 times (2 home, 1 away)
• Play 4 teams 3 times (1 home, 2 away)
Non-Conference Games: 18
• Play 3 teams 2 times (1 home, 1 away)
• Play 6 teams 1 time at home
• Play 6 teams 1 time away
Back to Back to Backs: All teams with at least 1; no more than 3
Playoff Back to Backs: Possible in second round
As a result of the tentative agreement, With the lockout likely over, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and other stars canceled their “Homecoming Tour” on Sunday.
The four-city tour was supposed to open in James’ hometown of Akron, Ohio, on Dec. 1, but that game and three others have been cancelled. The game scheduled for Tuesday, November 29th is still set.
I’m ready for the season to start. I can’t wait to watch my games as a part of my Christmas day tradition and the NBA finals will hopefully be as exciting as they were last year. The players need to get the union reorganized and vote so we can get this NBA party started!
Besides, I need my Charles Barkley fix.